The sixth meeting of the Thematic Working Group on Coastal and Maritime Tourism (TWG5) took place in Barcelona (Spain) last June 4 and 5, 2019.
Following the fifth meeting held in November last year in Rome (Italy), the TWG5 conducted another two-day session where the final draft of the Gaps and Growth Opportunities Report was presented. This comprehensive document identifies key joint challenges and messages on tourism to be conveyed at all levels in order to implement common solutions. One concrete result deriving from this is the launch of a call for two strategic projects that must focus on the selected issues.
The main highlights of the discussion were the following:
- Reducing the pressure on territories hit by mass tourism, redistributing tourists all over the year and extending the range of offers available.
- Involving local stakeholders in leveling up the capacity building.
- Involving public actors to increase the positive impacts in policy changes and mainstreaming activities.
- Implementing best practices and other effective instruments through institutional and technical level operations.
- Promoting innovation and IT systems to create synergies and better target actions.